"Do you know the key to great bedroom interior design?"
Bedroom interior design opens up a world of possibility and challenge. If you think about it, you probably spend about a third of your life in your bedroom. What an amazing amount of time! Most of that, of course, is spent in dreamland. There is nothing like comfortable, restful sleep.
With your bedroom being such a key part of life, designing it to complement the way you live will make all the difference. And of course, you've got to love the way it looks. Whether it's a sophisticated
black and pink bedroom
(like the one seen here) or a streamlined,
...design a sense of style into your bedroom.
It’s true that restful sleep is a key function of any bedroom, but it is not necessarily the only function. There are multiple types of bedroom spaces – master bedrooms,
and guest bedrooms, for example. Each can have somewhat different needs. Consider this as you develop your own bedroom interior design plan.
The key is to really evaluate how the room will be used. An understanding of this will help inform the rest of your bedroom plan as it relates to lighting, window treatments and other elements. For example, the needs of an adult master bedroom scheme will be a bit different from that of a young, school-aged child. And a baby’s room will need to support different needs than a guest bedroom will. Think about this in relation to the specific room you have in mind.
As you move ahead, here are some bedroom interior design tips to consider:
• Paint the walls a soothing color to enhance a restful mood.
• Incorporate a task area into a child’s bedroom layout for homework, creative sketching, or computer use.
• Maximize the use of your bedroom storage with a closet organizing system and under-the-bed storage containers.
• For small spaces consider wall mounted, swing-arm lamps for either side of the bed to provide light for bedtime reading while simultaneously saving valuable floor space.
• Incorporate a form of seating to provide a place to relax or a stable place to put on your shoes in the morning. This could take the form of a distinct sitting area (if you have the space) or an upholstered bench or a narrow wooden chest at the foot of your bed, for example.
• Use black-out liner on draperies to help prevent street lamps or early morning light to interrupt your sleep.
• Instead of a plain lighting fixture on the ceiling, add some drama with a chandelier appropriate to the style of the room.
By first understanding your needs for the space, you will be prepared to incorporate the right functionality into your bedroom interior design plan. Make the elements fit your life, and then build up your style. The result will be more satisfying than focusing on style alone as your ultimate goal.
Need ideas? One of the largest features in a bedroom is the bedspread. This is a great place to start building a color scheme for your bedroom. Find a bedspread you love and then follow its lead when choosing the other colors in your room.
To help you see how it can all come together I have created a gallery of photos.
Click here to enter my gallery of bedroom ideas!
Share Your Bedroom Interior Design Story
Do you have a great story about a recent bedroom makeover you did? Or do you have specific insight and tips that could help others realize their bedroom design dreams? Please share it with us. We would love to post it for the benefit or our website visitors.
Consider including any special design challenges you may have faced and then solved in the experience. And don't forget the eye candy! Add a photo or two of the finished results.
Ready? Let's go...
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Return from Bedroom Interior Design back to Interior Design Tutor homepage.